Friday, February 21, 2014

Glitter Flower Pots




My boyfriend was smart this Valentine's Day, and bought be something I hopefully won't kill.  I have terrible luck with plants, and I feel so bad every time he gets me an orchid or something else, because it never lasts more than a month.  So, here we go again :)

I love this little cactus. It was perfect because he color coordinated my gift (uhh, super impressed by that?), and this was our first Valentine's Day in Texas.  He did forget one thing though... a pot lol.  He wrapped a paper towel around it, so that the dirt wouldn't get all over everything else.  That's ok though, because it gave me the perfect opportunity to get my glitter out again!  This was a very easy project, but I'll fill you in on how I made these pretty little pots anyway.  If you're wondering why the little pot is empty, you'll find out why next week ;). UPDATE:: Never mind, all I ended up growing for the little pot, was mold.  Womp, womp!

You will need:
Flower pot (got mine for 99 cents at the thrift store) The tiny pot came in a set of 3 from the Dollar Tree.
White paint
1 inch Sponge brush
Mod Podge or Glue
Glitter
Paper Plate or large sheet of paper

1. Start by making sure there isn't any sticky stuff left over from a price tag on the surface of the pot you are going to paint.  I learned this the hard way, so just trust me and take the extra minute to wash it off COMPLETELY.

2. To paint my pot, I held it from the inside, and rotated my brush around the sides.  You're going to need at least 3 coats.  The good thing is, the terracotta absorbs it quickly and you won't have to wait long to paint the next coat.  Make sure you paint the inside too; just down to the rim.  Clean and dry your brush.

3.  Once your everything is dry, apply the Mod Podge evenly to just the outside rim of the pot.  Make sure you don't miss any spots!

4.  Over a paper plate, immediately pick it up from the bottom and tap out your glitter directly onto the rim, while rotating your pot.  You could also roll the pot into the glitter, but I found this method works the best. Tip: Run your finger around the bottom edge of the rim while it's still wet. This will remove any stray/uneven glitter.  When you're done, you can make a funnel with your plate, and pour it back into the container.

5. Once dry, sponge another coat of mod podge over top of the glitter.  This will seal the glitter, and prevent any from flaking off and making a mess on your desk or window sill.

That's it!  If you make this little project, I'd love to see it!  Tweet me your pics at @thepaperpinata

Have a good weekend!
<3 Ashley

0 comments:

Post a Comment